Wednesday, September 07, 2005

So impressed

I just don't know how Barb does it! She really is a super woman. I am so impressed with her dedication and drive to accomplish this goal of helping the people and pets effected by Katrina.

I share some of her frustration. Work and school have kept me from devoting as much time to drumming up donations as I'd like, except for to make a phone call here or an e-mail there. But the response I've gotten back from people in San Clemente (businesses and City Hall alike) has been, "Oh but we've already given to the Red Cross," or, "Oh we're just telling people to donate to the Red Cross."

Which is fine. Except for the fact that it seems like every other week, San Clemente, like so many other Coastal Orange County towns, holds some sort of fete or hoo-ha to either a) promote tourism, b) make us all feel warm and fuzzy about living here, and c) to raise money for the "International Society of Plantar Warts Survivors", or some equally inane local cause.

Which is also fine. But it's not great. It doesn't even come a damn sight close to fantastic.

See, there are an awful lot of people who live here, and many of them have money. Big money. "I could buy your whole family if the price was right," kind of money. And these people can do better than just "donate to the Red Cross."

I hear that a few local businesses in town are holding raffles and equally unique ideas to benefit the Gulf Coast, which I think is terrific. Maybe it will encourage others to do the same. And I'm going to send out another email blast tomorrow to see what other local groups are up to. But it's just frustrating... maybe it's the nice weather or something, but people here (even most of the Progressives I've met) have been lulled into an apathetic stupor that even the worst of natural disasters cannot rouse.

We can do better than this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Recent Articles

Civic Duty

Get Involved!

Government

Local News

Indy Media

Support Our Troops

Our Favorite Blogs